A new study reveals that 41 out of every 100 accommodation bookings in Europe are for hotels on the Spanish coasts.
The Easter holidays are the first occasion of the year that travelers choose to escape winter. The first rays of spring sun, the beaches and special Easter discounts on flights and hotels are just a few things that attract them while searching for their perfect destination.
TravelgateX — the marketplace that connects the largest network of tourism providers in the world — has prepared an exclusive Holy Week report on European trends. The company has analyzed a total of 26,8K hotel reservations made through their marketplace during this year for stays between April 17 – 21, 2019.
Although destinations like Portugal, Italy, and Paris remain the number one spots for tourists seeking sunnier shores, Spain still holds the record. In this report, a total of 10,8K Easter reservations made through the TravelgateX marketplace were analyzed (bookings with check in from April 21 to April 21, 2019).
Top destinations for Easter break in Europe
Perhaps some of the most interesting and relevant pieces of information obtained from this report are:
- In Europe, 41 out of every 100 overnight stays booked for the Easter holidays, were for Spain
- More than half of these bookings were made by Spanish travelers
- The percentage of reservations has increased by 107% compared to last year. A significant increase thanks in part to the integration of new suppliers and customers.
- The average stay per booking is between 3 and 4 nights
- Each traveler will spend an average of 398,77€, which represents a decrease of 1,4% with respect to the previous year
Which country visits Spain the most?
Spanish, English, Italian, Chinese and German are the nationalities that make the most reservations to Spain. In fact, China and Germany have risen by six and four positions over the previous year.
While couples (45,77%) and families (26,09%) are at the top of the list, the number of group trips have decreased, and solo travelers have remained the same, compared to the previous year.
As for the most booked destinations in Spain, Andalusia (21,83%) is at the top, followed by the Balearics Islands (12,03%), Valencia (10,71%) and for the first time this year, we can see an increase in bookings in Catalonia (18,26%) and a decrease in the Canary Islands (18,21%).
Top nationalities by Spanish destinations
In 2018, Spain was the second most visited country in the world, recording 82.8 million tourists which marked the sixth consecutive year of record-beating numbers. The top inbound countries are Spain,
Holy Week in Italy
- Length of Stay: an average of 3 nights and the average price per reservation is 363.9€ (a decrease of -5.9% over the previous year)
- Top destinations: Lazio, Veneto, Lombardia, Tuscany, Campania
- Tourists to Spain by country of origin: Spain, Italy, United Kingdom, China, United States.
- Top travelers: couples, groups, families
Holy Week in Portugal
- Length of Stay: an average of 4 nights and the average price per reservation is 342.6€ (an increase of 2.5% over the previous year)
- Top destinations: Faro, Lisbon, Porto, Madeira, Azores.
- Tourists to Spain by country of origin: Spain, Portugal, United Kingdom, China, and Brazil.
- Top travelers: couples, groups and families
Holy Week in the United Kingdom
- Length of Stay: an average of 3 nights and the average price per reservation is 452.80€ (an increase of 6.5% over the previous year)
- Top destinations: England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales.
- Tourists to Spain by country of origin: Spain, United Kingdom, Italy, China, Israel.
- Top travelers: Couples, groups, families, solo travelers
This technological company created by Pedro Brücher, Computer Engineer, who already has more than 90 professionals on his team, has managed to break the record of 20,000 daily hotel reservations, as well as flights and tourist services and 900 million searches per day. in the sector. In addition, it holds the record for turnover of more than 3.2 billion euros per year in the travel industry.
TravelgateX is based on a unique technology that leads the tourism industry worldwide. A single online integration provides access to the largest network of tourism buyers and providers.
One reservation every 8 seconds, more than 600 partners connected with 3,000 online connections and more than 9 million euros a day moving in the travel sector. In the first months of 2018, TravelgateX has launched its marketplace in the “travel” sector, which allows us to face a new growth record in terms of B2B integrations.